When planning your own wedding, securing a caterer needs to be near the top of your “to do” list! After deciding on the type of food you prefer and determining guest numbers (including vendors), it is time to start exploring and tasting! [Some local caterers are listed on The Cabin Ridge website]
Things to ask:
- What levels of service are offered? Explore details and prices of each? Some caterers will do everything from place settings on your guest tables, serve your cocktail hour appetizers, lighting your candles, setting up and serving the buffet, provide your non-alcoholic beverage service, bus tables, pack up your left over food, and sometimes, carry off part of your trash! Wow!
- Any price difference when using disposables or rented plates/glassware?
- Are vegetarian, or other special options available?
- What non-alcoholic beverages are offered? Ice included? Drink dispensers? Type?
[NOTE: Be sure to make arrangements for water for your guests…either bottled water or containers of water to be served in a dispenser]
- If you plan to serve beer/wine, can a bartender can be added to the service? Can the ice for the bar area be included in the order? What about the beer/wine?
- Is cake cutting included?
- Time frames for their services, including arrival time?
Things to do:
- Especially for outdoor venues, make sure the caterer is aware of area limitations that may affect their service. Invite the vendor to call The Cabin Ridge directly, email questions, or make an appointment to visit. [The Cabin Ridge features Solar Power only and provides a large catering prep area with work tables, but no sink.]
- Provide a detailed timeline of your event for the catering team.
- Contact your caterer at least two weeks out to confirm guest numbers, arrival times, contract details, and payment arrangements.
A good catering team is a great investment in your Special Day, not only to provide great food, but in their ability to set-up, serve, breakdown and clean up without distracting from the joy and celebration of your Wedding Day!